History of UnitingCare ReGen (formerly Moreland Hall)

Summary

UnitingCare Moreland Hall changed its name to UnitingCare ReGen in June 2012.

Originally used as a private home, the original Moreland Hall, a bluestone building, was constructed in 1859. Wesley Mission purchased Moreland Hall in 1922, using it for various purposes including an alcohol withdrawal centre for men, and a residential hostel for young women.
 
During the 1960s the Methodist Church Conference of Victoria and Tasmania was concerned for individuals and their families with alcohol problems and determined to establish a centre for their treatment and education. Moreland Hall was identified as a potential site, and Wesley Mission (then Central Methodist Mission) was requested to release it for that purpose. Under the direction of the Reverend Alf Foote Moreland Hall was founded as an Alcoholism Treatment and Education Centre and officially dedicated for that purpose on 2 May 1970.
 
1922

Moreland Hall purchased by Central Methodist Mission

1932 – 35

Leased as private nursing home

1936 – 46

Reformatory home for ‘wayward’ girls

1947 – 69

Run as hostel for rural, interstate and international women

1970

Establishment of ‘Moreland Hall Alcoholism Treatment Centre’ by founding Director Alf Foote

1971

Moreland Hall Charter revised to incorporate other drug dependencies

1987

Closure of Rehabilitation Program
Commencement of Family Therapy and Drink Driving Programs

1993

Commencement of residential withdrawal service at Jessie St site
Commencement of Drug Education services at Pentridge Prison

1994

Commencement of Outreach AOD service and onsite medical service at Jessie St site
Completion of building works to accommodate new services

1996

Agency secures funding for prison services, residential, outpatient and home-based withdrawal, counselling, pathology services and education training programs

1997

Commencement of services at Port Phillip Prison

1998

Residential withdrawal service moves from Jessie St site to DHS-owned facility in Heidelberg (LACP)

2000

Establishment of new Youth Residential Withdrawal Service (GWH)
Closure of methadone and pathology services
Publication of the ‘Big Book on Drugs’

2001

Moreland Hall becomes the first Victorian AOD service to achieve quality accreditation. Education and Training Team achieves RTO status

2003

Commencement of Supported Accommodation service and Complex Clients Project

2004

Establishment of Therapeutic Playgroup program
Establishment of ISS and HYP-d programs

2007

Moreland Hall secures ongoing funding for intensive Playgroup program from three divisions of DHS

2008

Launch of Client Charter

2009

Catalyst Program funded as a pilot program
Annual Report wins Gold award at Australian Reporting Awards

2010

Moreland Hall celebrates 40 years

2011

Catalyst program wins Excellence in Treatment and Support Award at the National Drug and Alcohol Awards

2012

UnitingCare Moreland Hall relaunched as UnitingCare ReGen

2013

Winner of the Victorian Government’s Robin Clark Memorial Award for Making a Difference with Children, Young People and Families

2014 Partnership with Odyssey House Victoria and others to deliver recommissioned treatment services in North and West Metro region

2015 Received funding for establishment of Victoria’s first ‘Mother and Baby’ residential withdrawal service