About the service
The Mother and Baby Withdrawal Unit is now open.
The first of its kind in Victoria, it accommodates up to four mothers and their babies. Funded by the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services, the unit has been developed to improve the accessibility and effectiveness of treatment services for mothers who are alcohol and other drug dependent, strengthen parenting skills and reduce risk to children.
This purpose-built facility has been designed to increase the safety and wellbeing of mothers and their children during the early stages of treatment, along with providing stronger links to other targeted services to provide longer-term supports for affected families.
Developed in partnership with a range of key experts, the service model for the Mother and Baby Withdrawal Unit has been designed to provide the most effective range of supports for parents undertaking the early stages of treatment.
The Mother and Baby Withdrawal Unit is a statewide service that can be accessed via any catchment Intake service.
Download and print the Mother Baby Unit flyer (PDF).
Download the pre-admission booklet (Orange Booklet) for Curran Place: Adult & Mother Baby Withdrawal Service in PDF format.
Some images of the completed unit and the construction project:
About The Program
The Mother Baby Unit will be incorporated into the existing service at Curran Place. Groups include: yoga, family and relationships, nutrition, strengths, among others.
Specific groups may be run for the clients of the Mother Baby Unit. These may include parenting groups.
Our staff includes AOD Support Workers, Registered Nurses, Family Counsellor, Admin staff, Intake, and Childcare Workers.
Download the Eligibility Criteria for the Mother Baby Unit.
Referrals for the Mother Baby Unit are currently being accepted.
Download the Mother Baby Unit Referral Process to find out how admission into the Mother Baby Unit works.
Referral Form: You can either download the PDF version of the Mother Baby Unit Referral Form to manually fill out and fax the completed form to us; or you can download the fillable form (Word Document) to fill it in electronically and email back to us.
What To Bring
See our list below of what you should bring for your stay at the Mother Baby Unit, what we supply, and what items you can purchase from Curran Place at a small cost.
What to Bring
• Medicare card or Health Care Benefit Card (if you have one)
• Child Health Record Book (green book)
• Any prescribed medication / creams that you and/or your baby are currently taking, in original containers, enough for the duration of your stay
• Disposable nappies
• Dummy (if used)
• Training cup (if used)
• Infant formula (if applicable), bottles and teats
• If you’ve opted to bring your own baby food -- bring foods with you (i.e. tins, cans)
• Clothing for baby (including bibs). All the rooms are heated or cooled so primarily inside clothing is required. We have a small outdoor area, so a sunhat and sunscreen (for babies 6 months or older) or warm jackets, depending on the weather, is required.
• Toiletries for you and baby
• Baby’s toy – bring a few special ones, we have ample toys for your baby to play with.
• Mothers need to bring in any labelled items that will support her with breastfeeding i.e. breast pump and equipment and containers for storage of expressed breastmilk if applicable.
• Nappy wipes
• Maternity pads
• Microwave Bottle sterilizer will be available
• Pram / stroller – we have one available
• All adult meals will be provided and our menus include foods that your baby can also eat. If you have specific preferences for a brand of food (i.e. Raffertys Garden, Heinz, etc.), you may wish to bring these foods in with you.
• There is a baby bath at the facility
• Baby sling available
Items for purchase at a small cost
• Nappies (Woolworth's Home Brand)
• Nappy wipes
• Maternity Pads
• Formula (S26)
The Mother Baby Unit is located at Curran Place, ReGen's existing Adult Residential Withdrawal Unit.
164 Banksia Street
Ivanhoe VIC 3079
T: 03 9490 2400
F: 03 9490 2499