Williams House is a community residential drug and alcohol withdrawal unit. We provide a seven to fourteen day program for young people aged between 12 and 21 years of age wishing to withdraw from alcohol or other drugs.
At Williams House we believe in a holistic approach to health and well being. Drug use is only one aspect of a young person's life, and we aim to treat and support you as an individual, with individual needs.
Williams House is a four bedroom house with a "home like" environment staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We offer intensive support and a safe place to assist you in the withdrawal process.
How do I access Williams House?
If you wish to give up or have time away from your use of drugs or alcohol you can stay at Williams House and receive a high level of support during your stay.
If you live in the Northern Region to access Williams House you need to:
- Come to ReGen between 9.00 and 11.30 am, Monday to Friday
- You will have an assessment that morning. You do not need to make an appointment
- If Williams House is the best place for you, the assessment worker will give you an approximate admission date
If you live in the Hume Region then you should contact a local drug and alcohol service and ask for a referral. Then:
- A drug and alcohol worker will talk to you to assess your needs and find out what you want to do about your drug use
- The drug and alcohol worker may undertake an assessment or refer you to ReGen for an assessment via videoconference
- The assessment will be faxed through to us at Williams House, fax (03) 9384 2619
- Upon receipt of your assessment we should be able to give you an approximate admission date
- You should contact us a few days prior to your proposed admission date to confirm that the bed is available. If a bed becomes available earlier we will contact you
- Our direct telphone number is (03) 9384 8855
Whilst at Williams House you will be provided with:
- A medicated withdrawal regime
- Therapeutic activities
- Discussion groups and information sessions
- Goal setting
- Post withdrawal planning
- Recreation activites
- Nutritious food
- Adequate rest
- Herbal remedies - on the advice of a naturopath
- A qualified mulit-disciplinary supportive team of staff
Before coming to Williams House:
It is usual to wait for about a week before you are offered a bed. It would be helpful if you use this time to organise the following:
- Any Centrelink issues
- Ensure court appearances do not coincide with your stay at Williams House
- If required, contact your informant or police station regarding your admission
- Contact other relevant agencies if you are planning to access a rehabilitation program after withdrawal
- Ensure you have a current Medicare card and if you are eligible a Health Care card
- Watch 'Not Just Waiting' video of what to expect at Williams House
You must bring your Medicare and pension or Health Care card as they will be needed to purchase any medication prescribed for your withdrawal. You should not bring more than $30 with you. It is advisable to bring your own toiletries and enough clothes for a week.